Monday, October 4, 2010

The French Connection


I could certainly write more on Italy, but it’s time to segue into France!!! Tomorrow afternoon, I leave for three weeks in the Beloved Country, where I spent twelve delicious and difficult years of my life. Time to find again my French personality, to put away the colorful tanks, capris and open-toed shoes of Hotlanna, and dig out the rain gear, scarves, and muted tones of Europe.

It’s great to be going back, and it’s intimidating. The terror alerts are on again. When I lived there, it became routine; now, it gives me pause…the world grows increasingly tense. But I want to live in the armor of light and from the nature of who God is.

I know it’s the dream trip for many, but I go in not as a tourist, but as one who knows the culture enough to know the spiritual oppression, the cultural confusion and the mental gymnastics with language that await. No romantic notions here. Still, I wouldn’t miss it for the world.

So, ciao Italia, and Bonjour La France! J’arrive…

I close with one of my favorite quotes:

For all that has been, thanks. For all that shall be, yes.—Dag Hammerskjold

No comments:

Post a Comment